Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: The Good Ole Days :-)

Hope it all goes well at the eye specilist  @Hope4me HeartHeart

Hello @TAB, @Sans911, @Zoe7, @Former-Member

Images aren't up yet @Hope4me but I bet they are the silver and black one's like my grandparents had! Everything was silver back then though - none of the wonderful array of colours we have in cooking items today. I still remember the old metal drum that my grandfather used to use fill the top with water and the bottom a fire and cook the christmas pudding each year. It tasted awesome as well - plus we used to have money in our pieces of pudding - pretty sure he put that in afterwards though so we all got something Smiley Surprised

Auntie used to do that re coins and pudding @Zoe7 only it was always sixpence cos new money is toxic ie not enough silver ie not worth its face value. Pudding was always boiled in cloth that was used over and over. Nellie pudding could be cooked that day even. The other more common darker one with suet maybe one was better aged tho

The kids job on christmas day was to count all the coins in my pop's coin jar and then he would divide it up between his 4 grand kids. I remember taking all my coins to the bank to out in my account when I was little - it was only about 5 to 10 dollars but back then that was a lot - especially as a kid. @TAB @Hope4me @Shaz51

Ah yes @Shaz51 @TAB @Zoe7 @Sans911 the old external laundry 'copper' that we boiled the sheets in and stirred with a wooden stick. There was also a clothes wringer attached to our huge double cement tubs. Ha! Haven't thought of them for ages.OldFashionedLaundryWringer.png

If your kids/grandkids complain about doing the washing, show them this and tell them to count their lucky stars.

wow how lovely @Zoe7 xx

my grandma usd to make clothes for us for every christmas

used to go fishing with granddad xx

Funny you should mention fishing - was just laughing about a fishing trip I did with dad when I was little at dinner the other night. I remember we didn't catch any fish and Dad said it was because I talked too much and the fish got scared away - I will never forget that lol @Shaz51

Omg @Zoe7 I used to be offered share from mate at times father’s massive coin jars when he raided them. All 50c pieces just gallons of them

Yes @Hope4me mum had copper then mangle ok almost manual wringer . Superceded by poxy Lightburn that still saw in army 10 plus yrs later ok we had hoover twin tub after that for years. Not automatic

Oh wow @TAB My mum used to keep 50c pieces in a glass in her drawer - I used to count them often. It always seemed so much money when I was younger - now it wouldn't get you very far at all.

I think I still have an old 1 dollar and 2 dollar notes somewhere too.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance