Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Fee2
New Contributor

Adult son

Hi. Need help with 23year old son who has anxiety and some other mental health problems. Has tried some medication but cannot get to Gp til end of April. He won’t see physiologist and doesn’t feel the need to be diagnosed for Aspergist. He isn’t working, playing sports nor has energy . Doesn’t have any friends that aren’t on line.He lives at home with me (I’m on my own). I don’t know how to help him, nor how to encourage him as he tells me he can cope.

please someone tell me how can I assist him or just what to say to help him get motivation?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Adult son

Hi @Fee2 🙂

Welcome to the SANE Forums!

I am glad you found us and have reached out for support - I know it can take some courage and a lot of our energy to do so, so I am glad you were able to 🙂

It sounds like at home right now with your son it must be difficult, as you are trying to motivate your son and get him out there. I know your question was in regards to how can you support your son, but it made me think... what supports do you have for yourself right now also (besides us now on the Forums)? How have you been coping? I can imagine you might sometimes feel hopeless or like you are not doing enough for him, please correct me if I am wrong.

Warmest,
PizzaMondo 🙂

Re: Adult son

Hi @Fee2 , we see this issue come up on the forums. I think your heart is in the right place! It can be really difficult to help people who don't want to be helped but what you can do is show consistent support - ask him everyday if he wants to go for a walk with you (or get a coffee or whatever you want to do that might tempt him outside). Have you tried speaking to him about it? Do you know why he doesn't want to see a psychologist? 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance