Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Healthy Minds Webcast Series // Smashing stigma // Tues 27 Sep 7pm AEST

@NikNik I think it very much depends on where I am in my journey of recovery that I did not hear the positives. I only heard the negatives. Perhaps I should watch it again.

This has been great tonight.  For me I am trying to break down many barriers and stigma in the fire service so it was great to listen to others to hear ideas and to reaffirm what I am trying to do.  I started my journey with a a bike ride around victoria to visit fire stations and discuss mental illness, my story, inspiraration and where to get help in August. there is being a doco made by my employer and it is really gathering some momentum. My phone and emails have not stopped since and I am trying to help cultural change.  I have four key messages. look after your self, look out for each other, press the big red help button and it is ok to not be ok. 

Hi @BlueBay

Steph (in the video above) said she finds it helpful to talk about her illness in an 'educational' sense. Like for example, how you would explain diabetes or a broken leg - removing her own emotion out of it *which is hard!* but to educate someone on the facts of it.

Nik 

I really feel for Mick.
I've been turned down for jobs because I disclosed my mental illness.
I lost my place in medical school because I had to take time off to treat my mental illness.
It really is so so so hard.

Wow @texnuggett you sound so positive and it's fantastic what you did with the bike ride around Victoria. so many people suffer in silence and it's scary. but how do you make family understand.  i can easily tell people now (after 6 yrs) that i have depression and anxiety but telling my family (parents) is super difficult.  I haven't told anyone that I have BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder). i really hate that name, the stigma attached to it and the traits - it's disaster.

Well done on your journey, i wish i had strength like you.

thanks for sharing

@Former-Member Totally understand 🙂 I can share with you my two highlights, if that helps:

- Steph talked about how her current employer gave her a huge hug when she saw the video (in the first post here)

- Dov talked about how many people have opened up and disclosed to him because he shared his experience

There's no denying there were really sad stories told too. As Mick referred to his experience in the work place, and I think most of the discussed some of the negative reactions they had from friends.

By talking about it and educating people.

@NikNik but i still think that there is a lot of stigma on BPD.  The word borderline and personality are too harsh for me, i struggle with those words.  How do i tell family and friends that i have a personality disorder?

Yeah absolutely - no denying there is a lot of stigma. I think Steph talked about how she disclosed - so that might be helpful to have a watch of once we get the link.

Some have argued that a more appropriate name would be emotion dysregulation syndrome.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance