Skip to main content

Re: DID, it's not confirmed, but have CPTSD

Hi @Just 

That's odd you can't see other members when you type the @ symbol. BUT not a problem, I'll tag them now. Glad you are happier with the diagnosis too!

@Kyle1 @balance37 @Blackbird11 @TaraLouise 

Hi @Just 

Thank you for posting, I am glad you hear you are doing well today and thank you for sharing your health update with us. 

Your post is public and visible, if you want to mention/ give a shoutout to a specific member on the forums you can easily type the @ symbol and then the persons username (much like I did above). 

Wishing you many more meaningful conversations ahead within the online community.

-Melbcoffeesnob

@Just Thank you for the update. Sounds like DID is not confirmed for you, but C-PTSD definitely does have elements of dissociation to it, which is perhaps why a dissociative disorder may also have been suspected. You mentioned your daughters graduation and that you are afraid you may not be able to stay grounded. Have you been able to explore why this may be? You mentioned it may be triggering for you. When these situations have come up for me (the ones I can prepare for) I usually go over all of the basic things in my mind of the event. What time will I get there? What will I wear? Who will be with me that I feel comfortable with? What is the layout of the space? Is there somewhere I can sit where I am able to leave if needed? Can I bring anything along in my bag that I find grounding (I usually have something that helps my senses - for e.g. the smell of lavander, my favourite soothing song to listen to, touching a small furry object) or some strategies that bring me back into my body physically (e.g. can I count how many objects in the room have a certain colour, can I actively stamp my feet or wriggle my toes and just focus on that moment?) There are some great distress tolerance skills you can find within M. Linehan's work book. Here is a link to some of those exercises and others that may help in other situations. I hope that is helpful - https://dbt.tools/index.php

Thanks, just struggling a bit. It's hard to talk about because I like to keep it hidden as much as possible. Not really sure how to deal with it myself.@Snowie @balance37 @Blackbird11

Thanks, for letting others know. It might make more sense once I've been using it and getting around more in the site. Appreciate the help.

I also have C-PTSD and DID. Diagnosed 4 years ago after being misdiagnosed with everything under the sun for decades.  Better late than never I suppose. At least now I can seek out treatment specifically designed to help me, rather than years of never getting anywhere and wondering why.

Hi Cali-Rose Thanks for replying. It's tuff. I haven't opened up much. But I'm still feeling my way through. It sounds like your doing better now that you will receive the right treatment. I'm having trouble with fear at the moment. I act out of fear. If it's ok to ask. What do U do when you have no control and act out of fear.

@Cali_Rose @Just has a question for you.

@Just A helpful forum tip is click the @ function and names will appear that you can click on and they will highlight in conversation and they will be notified.

@Just acting out of fear is hard, it's all consuming and yes takes over and puts you in survival mode. Have you tried grounding techniques like 5things you see, 4 things you can hear, 3 things you can touch. Breathing techniques.  

Positive self talk. 

Yes, I have it as a daily reminder on my calendar. But mine is 5 things you can see, think of 5 things you can hear, 5 things you can touch. Thanks for validating the" 5 " grounding tool. I will use it more. But I can't use this tool when I'm already racing and have no control. Do you know any tools for putting up a quick red flag so to speak. To stop myself in my active phase. Appreciate your feed back.

Ok, I might have to say goodbye to everyone here. Thankyou for all your support. I seem to be having more trouble than I realised. I just don't seem to be able to put it all together. My brain is not making the connection s It once was.