Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: New here, found my way because I'm completely lost and alone

I am sending wishes that you find a suitable home in time, @HalcyonDreams ... 🤞

Thank you @NatureLover . Well received and I hope so, one day maybe... I wish you all the best as well and take care.

Hi @HalcyonDreams 

I read your post yesterday and you have been in my thoughts. I haven’t been on this site for a while but I could hear your pain and frustration. 

Here are a few resources you may be able to access.  I was in Melbourne and have included the health service names so you could Google and perhaps find similar ones in your area. 

1) I was put into a short stay inpatient unit once which was terrific in that they provided ongoing 2 x weekly counselling following discharge for a few months. I think it was called the Brief intervention team. I accessed this by turning up at emergency at a public hospital. (Maroondah Hospital IPU was where I stayed). 

2) Each health service calls their services by a different name but I think offer similar services. The city of Monash calls theirs the Agile care team. If I hadn’t known about Brief intervention I wouldn’t have even been aware of this type of service and not known the questions to ask to find one in my catchment area. 

You can be referred by a GP or straight from emergency. 

3) MIND also have their Step up Step down programs. When I was really ill I wish I had known about this. I have used both public and private psych stays and I found public to be so much better for looking at possible recovery. MIND are very recovery focused.  

Life is friggin tough at times. I have moved to a rural location and knew I would have to have some support from professionals to not sink again.

Its really frustrating when you are taking the initiative for yourself and seeking help but doors close. My heart goes out to you. 

Hopefully this helps a little. Best wishes

@NatureLover is there a list of resources containing some of the services I have mentioned that can be accessed via Sane? 

@FloatingFeather just wanted to say hi. You helped me tremendously at the end of last year. 

Heya @Hope0011 

Thank you for taking the time to write such a structured reply.

I am in the ACT. The inpatient unit here was the worst experience of my life and they didn't offer any help whatsoever. The facilities in this state are essentially staffed and funded in order to curb the impact of stimulant psychosis and methamphetamine addiction. I spent 5 days trying to convince everyone there that my past actually even happened to me. I was accused of having delusions, about being a sole carer for my single mother since the age of 10, everything to do with that role, identifying my mother and little brother's bodies after being forced to by the AFP, they wouldn't even believe that I had studied marketing at University. On the fourt day, I happened to speak to a child trauma psych, who was only there to fill a weekend vacancy, and she outright told me that every other doctor has been treating me like I'm crazy and recorded my past trauma as delusions. She told me they were going to force me to have electric convulsive therapy and warned me to make sure I don't let that happen and to get out of the facility as soon as I can, because that treatment and being there at all will only make my PTSD worse.

She rewrote my entire file and that's he onl reason I got out the next day. I asked for a referral to an EMDR therapist, or any therapist, or even a counselor, and they outright refused me. They wouldn't even re-prescribe my ADHD medication.

I have committed to seeking recompense and never using any public health service ever again on my life. Whether I have cancer or need antibiotics, I have lost all trust and faith in this country's establishment completely.

We have HAART in this state. They told me I "denied their assistance" and refuse to talk to me at all. I spoke to them a few months ago and they offered step up step down, I told them I'm evicted and will be leaving the state before the 3 months of thi service is completed, so I wouldn't be able to make use of it. They said they would go back and talk with the treating team, then offer me something else tha works for my situation. I called a week later and they refused to speak to me, stating like I said, that I refused their assistance and they will no longer deal with me.

Another reason why I have no faith in the public health infrastructure.

I have spoken to a national not for profit org called Wellways and they are going to help me find services in NSW. The advocate I spoke to from this service told me that the ACT health system is the worst in the country and suggested I completely pull out from anything to so with ACT Health whatsoever.

I'm hopeful for things to be better after I move to the farm on NSW. Even just the environment will be therapeutic. I will be living with a friend in a proper home with land for a reasonable price, instead of alone in a tiny concrete box for over half my income. I won't have the pressures of the city all around me, instead I'll be surrounded by nature and be able to do my own thing. I will be able to afford to spend some of my income on private healthcare, because I will be paying 260 dollars less per week for rent.

So I'm hopeful that, as long as I can find a way to facilitate the actual moving, then I will be in a better spot soon. Fingers crossed, I suppose.

Thanks again and take care.

Best wishes,

Hey @HalcyonDreams 

What an awful experience you have had and I understand why you have lost trust in the public system. There are some good public initiatives and perhaps in time you will be open to looking at both private and public avenues.

Moving sounds like it will reduce at least some of the situational pressures which is always a good thing.

This forum helped me through a dark time when my supports were unavailable and I hope it offers interim support for you as well - just knowing there are others in dark places, with frustrations and lived experiences can make us feel slightly less alone. Just a wee bit......

Take care - it's great you have the move to look forward to.

@Hope0011 wrote:

@NatureLover is there a list of resources containing some of the services I have mentioned that can be accessed via Sane?

I'm not sure...there's this page @Hope0011 , and also this  page.

Hi @Hope0011,

So lovely to hear from you and see you on the Forums! Thank you for your kind words - I'm glad I was able to help a little. I think the Forums can be a really powerful place for help, healing, reflection, and support and we have so many amazing members (like you) and peer support workers that help make up the backbone of the website.

I really do hope you are doing well and life is being kind to you. 

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance