Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

NV75
New Contributor

How to help my 18 year old with depression living independently and not coping

My 18 year old son just moved to another city with his girlfriend, just started a new job and his undiagnosed depression has him an emotional wreck at the end of the first day of his new job. He now wants to stop the new job until he sorts out his mental health. However he now has a lease and other living costs that will not be able to be paid without work. His mental health issues have existed for a while with him being unwilling to deal with them or putting it off and I worry that if he stops work, he won't press in to treatment once the crisis and pressure of a work day has ended. But I don't want to encourage him to try and work while getting treatment if it pushes him toward suicide which he has thrown around but never made serious plans for.  What advice do I give him? How do I help him?

1 REPLY 1

Re: How to help my 18 year old with depression living independently and not coping

Hey there @NV75 , 

Welcome to the forums! 

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I can hear you are in a difficult place as you want your son to get the mental health support he needs but at the same time you are worried about whether he will be able to pay for his living expenses without work. Have you had a chat with him about your concerns? 

Besides our wonderful forum, I would also recommend having a webchat or call with the SANE Help Centre (open 10am-10pm). Let us know how you are travelling as we are all here to listen  💙 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance